Take a Stroll through Tango History
Why Take the La Boca & San Telmo Half Day Private Tour?
This tour is ideal if you want to take a closer look at the unrefined side of Buenos Aires & explore the diverse history & culture of the city’s immigrant population.
The La Boca & San Telmo tour is an exploration of the barrios where many say tango was born, when slums & brothels were prevalent in the area.
Certain parts of these neighborhoods border more unwelcoming areas. For safety & comfort, La Boca & San Telmo are best explored with the expertise of a guide who knows exactly where to turn.
“Jessica gave us an excellent half-day tour of La Boca and San Telmo. She was very informative about the history and area.
We most appreciated her suggestions for other sightseeing, shopping, restaurants, etc. During the next week we tried almost every one of her suggestions – they were spot on!“
~ Jeffrey Rogg, Providence, RI (Read full review on TripAdvisor)
La Boca & San Telmo Half Day Walking Tour Highlights
• Scenic Caminito street – a block of brightly colored houses once home to the Italian immigrant population that settled the neighborhood.
• The old port area where much of BA’s turn of the 20th century immigration arrived, now lined with souvenir shops & street performers.
• A look inside the Benito Quinquela Martin Museum of Fine Arts, a collection of past and present artistic representations of La Boca and it’s colorful history, founded by Argentina’s most beloved painter.
• La Bombonera Stadium, home to Boca Juniors soccer club, the most popular & successful team in South America.
• A short ride on a local bus, followed by a midway coffee break at one of the many classic old cafes in San Telmo.
• Plaza Dorrego, one of the city’s oldest and most popular squares, dotted with atmospheric bars & restaurants, and handicraft sellers.
• The San Telmo Indoor Market, a massive iron structure built in 1897, brimming with antiques and souvenirs that are sold alongside local market vendors of fresh food and produce.
• Defensa Street, a cobblestone road cutting through the heart of San Telmo, famous for its many antique dealers and original Spanish & Italian architecture.
Price and Duration of the La Boca & San Telmo Half Day Tour
• The pricing for this half day 100% private guided walking tour of La Boca and San Telmo is as follows:
• 1 to 3 people: $125 USD total (for the whole group, not per person)
• 4 to 6 people: $200 USD total (for the whole group, not per person)
• 7 to 10 people: $270 USD total (for the whole group, not per person)
• For tour quality purposes, we tend not accept bookings for more than 10 people. In such cases we would ask you to consider splitting your group into two smaller groups, with a private guide for each, and booking two separate tours (they can be at the same time). Of course, if you absolutely must keep your group of 11+ together, then please contact us and we’ll see what we can do.
• Are you are a solo traveler? Our tour is a great way to enjoy your time in Buenos Aires, being introduced to the city with a local friend. Please feel free to ask us about seasonal discounts for solo travelers.
• You get approximately 3 hours with your guide from the walking tour start point to the tour end. As stated on our FAQ, we will meet you at your accommodation to accompany you to the tour start, usually by taxi, or for most larger groups, MPV/people carrier or minivan. Or if you are staying very near our start point, we’ll walk with you there. The cost of any transport needed at the start of the tour is already INCLUDED in the total price of the tour.
• Important before booking: Apart from the inclusion of the cost of any transport at the start of the tour, we recommend reading through what else is included in and excluded from the tour cost, plus our cancellations policy, along with other frequently asked questions about our tours.
• Your total time on the tour will be somewhere between 3 to 4 hours. This estimate factors in transport time to the start of the tour, so depends on the location of your accommodation & traffic on the day.
• For a very reasonable additional fee at checkout, you could choose to extend this tour by 1.5 hours to take in the most interesting parts of the historical city center. We cannot guarantee availability for tour extensions, especially for morning tours (unless we can start really early!), so if you want to be sure feel free to check with us first before booking this tour with an extension. There may also be other possible tour extensions, just ask if you have something in mind!
Step 1: Select Date/Time for your San Telmo Tour
We recommend a 10am or 3.30pm start time for the La Boca & San Telmo tour, but feel free to select other start times from the booking calendar below.
If the date/time you want isn’t available, feel free to send us a message using this form, and then we will let you know if we have any cancellations for that day.
After clicking “Continue” you’ll be redirected to our 100% secure, easy to use, online checkout to select the number of people you want to book for & proceed to payment (with your credit/debit card, or via PayPal if you have an account & prefer to pay that way).
Alternatively, click here if you have a question before booking. We’re here to help!
***Important – please white/clean/safe list our email address below, and/or add it to your email contacts. If you don’t seem to be getting emails from us, please check your spam/junk folder just in case***