Get to Know the Rich and the Dead of Argentina
Why Take the Retiro & Recoleta Half Day Private Walking Tour?
This tour is the best way to experience the grandest neighborhoods of Buenos Aires and possibly the most remarkable cemetery in the world!
The Retiro & Recoleta tour gives you a secret window into the city’s glorious past, which will help you discover why Buenos Aires is often referred to as the “Paris of South America”.
Recoleta Cemetery only truly comes alive with the commentary of an expert guide, helping you navigate this labyrinth, highlighting important mausoleums, works of art, historical figures & ghost stories. (PS: It’s “The Best Cemetery Tour in the World!“)
“I selected BuenosTours for the half day Recoleta tour… an excellent pick …we concluded with the Recoleta cemetery where history abounds.
Jessica was of great help in locating & describing the most important features and locations there. On a walk like this a guide is a must… a do it yourself walk with your head in a guidebook wouldn’t come near to gaining an understanding of the locale.”
~ Richard Sandaas, Kirkland, WA (Read full review on TripAdvisor)
Retiro & Recoleta Half Day Tour Highlights
• The renowned Recoleta Cemetery, a city within a city that boasts the elaborate tombs of Argentina’s rich & famous. A definite “must see”, and one that you’d be lost seeing without an expert guide.
• The last resting place of Eva Peron (Evita), perhaps Argentina’s most acclaimed icon, alongside countless hauntingly beautiful mausoleums inside the cemetery walls.
• Numerous elegant mansions, built by BA’s wealthiest residents during Argentina’s golden era at the turn of the 20th century, inspired by the finest Parisian architecture of the time.
• A midway coffee break at Cafe La Biela, a landmark corner café with over 150 years of history, frequented in the past by race car champions, today a hub for the local elite.
• The most upscale boulevard in the city (Avenida Alvear), lined with designer shops and some of the city’s most lucrative real estate.
• Plaza Francia, home to the striking Our Lady of Pilar Church, one of the best preserved examples of colonial architecture left standing in Buenos Aires.
• The Falklands/Malvinas War Memorial in honor of the victims of the 1982 conflict with the United Kingdom, ironically surrounded by landmarks to the earlier British influence in Argentina.
• Plaza San Martin, one of the most beautiful green squares near the heart of the city, with its grand monument to the independence hero of Argentina.
Price and Duration of the Retiro & Recoleta Half Day Tour
• The pricing for this half day 100% private guided walking tour of Retiro, Recoleta & the Cemetery is as follows:
• 1 to 3 people: $125 USD total (for the whole group, not per person)
• 4 to 6 people: $200 USD total (for the whole group, not per person)
• 7 to 10 people: $270 USD total (for the whole group, not per person)
• For tour quality purposes, we tend not accept bookings for more than 10 people. In such cases we would ask you to consider splitting your group into two smaller groups, with a private guide for each, and booking two separate tours (they can be at the same time). Of course, if you absolutely must keep your group of 11+ together, then please contact us and we’ll see what we can do.
• Are you are a solo traveler? Our tour is a great way to enjoy your time in Buenos Aires, being introduced to the city with a local friend. Please feel free to ask us about seasonal discounts for solo travelers.
• You get approximately 3 hours with your guide from the walking tour start point to the tour end. As stated on our FAQ, we will meet you at your accommodation to accompany you to the tour start, usually by taxi, or for most larger groups, MPV/people carrier or minivan. Or if you are staying very near our start point, we’ll walk with you there. The cost of any transport needed at the start of the tour is already INCLUDED in the total price of the tour.
• Important before booking: Apart from the inclusion of the cost of any transport at the start of the tour, we recommend reading through what else is included in and excluded from the tour cost, plus our cancellations policy, along with other frequently asked questions about our tours.
• Your total time on the tour will be somewhere between 3 to 4 hours. This estimate factors in transport time to the start of the tour, so depends on the location of your accommodation & traffic on the day.
• For a very reasonable additional fee at checkout, you could choose to extend this tour by 1.5 hours to take in the most interesting parts of the historical city center. We cannot guarantee availability for tour extensions, especially for morning tours (unless we can start really early!), so if you want to be sure feel free to check with us first before booking this tour with an extension. There may also be other possible tour extensions, just ask if you have something in mind!
Step 1: Select Date/Time for your Recoleta Tour
We recommend a 9am or 3pm start time for the Retiro & Recoleta tour, but feel free to select other start times from the booking calendar below.
If the date/time you want isn’t available, feel free to send us a message using this form, and then we will let you know if we have any cancellations for that day.
After clicking “Continue” you’ll be redirected to our 100% secure, easy to use, online checkout to select the number of people you want to book for & proceed to payment (with your credit/debit card, or via PayPal if you have an account & prefer to pay that way).
Alternatively, click here if you have a question before booking. We’re here to help!
***Important – please white/clean/safe list our email address below, and/or add it to your email contacts. If you don’t seem to be getting emails from us, please check your spam/junk folder just in case***